Apo Killings: FG pays N135m compensation to relatives, survivors four years after

The security agents claimed to be on a mission to search for Boko Haram members.

A cheque of N135 million has been given to the families of the victims of indiscriminate killings in Apo/Gudu district of Abuja almost five years ago.

Eight persons had been killed and 11 others injured during a raid of an uncompleted building by men of the Department of State Service and the Nigerian Army in September 2013.

The victims, at the time of the incident, were said to be squatters in the uncompleted building. The security agents claimed to be on a mission to search for Boko Haram members.

Four years after the National Human Rights Commission made the recommendation to the Federal Government to compensate the victims, the pledge has now been fulfilled.

Speaking shortly before the cheque presentation, the AGF confirmed that the payment of the N135m award would start on Thursday.

“I am glad to inform you that the National Human Rights Commission has received the payment from the Department of State Services and the process of payment of the monies to the beneficiaries starts today,” Malami said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *