Barely two weeks into a new year, a potential fuel scarcity stares Nigerians in the face as NUPENG states its intention to push through with its intended warning strike.
NUPENG had cited ill-treatment of its members by multinationals operating in the oil and gas sector. Among contending issues was also the non-payment of terminal benefits to 48 contract staff, the union claimed.
The union’s South-West Zonal Chairman of the union, Alh. Tokunbo Korodo has said there is no going back on the three-day strike; to run from January 11-13.
He said on Monday that the union had mobilised its members for the strike, NAN reports.
“The warning strike notice had been given since the National Executive Council (NEC) meeting that was held in Port Harcourt in December and we picked second week of January which commences from Jan 8,” Korodo said.
“As I am speaking to you now, all zones including Lagos have mobilised to ensure the success of the strike as directed by NEC body of NUPENG.
“We are having another NEC meeting in Abuja on Jan. 10, to appraise the preparation for the planned strike and meet the government officials.
“It has been the practice of the Nigerian government to wait until the ultimatum day before they start to run from one place to other to find solutions to it.
“If this warning strike is not properly handled as we have mobilised to ensure success of our action, nobody should blame the union.”
Korodo said that if the government had met the NEC of NUPENG before now, the action could have been “nipped in the bud”.