As tensions continue to rise in southern Kaduna, the Nigerian Senate will only wait till its next sitting on January 10 before it launches an investigation into killings in the state.
Earlier, Femi Adesina, spokesperson for the President, had said there was “no need” for Buhari to speak out against the killings since state governor, Nasir El-Rufai was “on top of the matter.”
The Christian Association of Nigeria had blasted Buhari and called for immediate intervention into the killings.
Senate President Bukola Saraki has now said the crisis in the state would be addressed when plenary session resumes a week from today.
According to a statement by Bamikole Omishore, Saraki’s Special Assistant on New Media, the Senate leader was responding to a tweet by Chimeze Ukoha, who queried that “about 800 Christians were massacred in Southern Kaduna and nobody is talking about that, very bad.”
Saraki was quoted as replying Ukoha that “once @ngrsenate resumes, this issue will be addressed to get a clearer picture of what the real situation is and find a lasting solution.
“Every Nigerian life matters and @ngrsenate will work to ensure that rule of law is always upheld as prescribed by the Nigerian Constitution.”
Fulani herdsmen have been accused of repeatedly launching attacks on Christians in the southern flank of Kaduna State, killing many.
The killings had been ongoing since last year. El-Rufai imposed a 24-hour curfew in local governments across the state.